2 weeks left till Christmas. How did time fly by so quickly? It's gotten really cold in Hong Kong so it finally feels like winter. The Christmas carols playing in every shop have stopped annoying me, in the mornings I just want to sleep in till very late, I am consuming copious amount of gingerbread, hazelnut and other syrupy soya lattes, I got my UGGs out (for indoors only :), I am craving warm soups and stews for lunch and I am loving every single moment of this cosy, but busy time. So I am going to jump on the bandwagon and share with you a gift list.
I'll start by posting a gift list for the boys, it is difficult to reconcile mindful consumption and Christmas, but I have tried my best to choose, authentic, unique items that could be used by both of us. ("Meaning I really just want them for myself, well aside from number 8")
1. Celine Skateboard by Jayne from StopitRightNow.
2. Ally Capellino gym/travel bag. Versatile simplicity.
3. Jack Wills 100% lambswool cardis - I have tried both on and they look super cool thrown over a dress or a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.
4. Miansai bracelets - I like the climbing rope style of the bracelet and the delicate hook, they also have it in other colours plus black leather.
5. Le Labo Candle - kind of like Diptique for boys :) 100% soy wax, hand-poured candle with pure cotton wick, with a re-usable tin can.
6. Fungus Workshop - is a unique leather workshop in Hong Kong, you can either enrol to learn to make the leather gifts yourself or if you are very lazy/busy, order one custom made. Either way the result will really be one-of-a-kind.
7. Prism - sun/glasses - created by the super hot Anna Laub (my girl crush).
8. Antiga Barbearia de Bairro - I discovered these guys on my last trip to Lisbon. The designers behind the brand wanted to revive the classical ritual of shaving, characteristic of the hundred year old barber shops that historically were an integral part of the Portuguese towns. I love the simple yet eye catching aesthetic, the revival of tradition, the appreciation for shape and packaging.
9. Taschen - publishes some of the most beautiful table books on everything from design to fetish. I have never met anyone who wouldn't be happy with one of these visually arresting books.
10. Dinner I know a couple who have pretty much everything they want, I asked them what do they get each other? They said experiences. Maybe don't buy him a gift instead call the guys from Secret Ingredient (to minimise the cooking time and ensure a delicious result), buy a really good bottle of red wine (champagne, beer, whisky?), put on some underwear from Agent Provocateur and have a pre-Christmas dinner for just the two of you. At the end of the day, he'll appreciate it more than another pair of socks.
What will you be getting for the boys in your life?